Poised. Caring. Experienced. Effective.

Modification Of A Divorce Decree In New York

Ending a marriage is rarely simple. Even after the final decree, circumstances can change, necessitating adjustments to the original agreement. In New York City, modifying your divorce decree is possible, but it requires understanding the legal framework to navigate the process carefully.

At Fersch LLC, we specialize in family law. Our expert guidance to clients seeking modifications to their divorce decrees speaks more about our high-quality representation. Our compassionate divorce attorneys will guide you through the divorce decree modification with minimal anxiety and stress.

What Is A Divorce Decree?

A divorce decree, issued by the court, is a legally binding agreement outlining various aspects of your separation, including child custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support and property division.

While the decree aims to be long term, unforeseen circumstances can necessitate adjustments.

What Are The Circumstances In Which You Can Modify Your Divorce Decree?

Divorce decree modifications in New York require proof of a substantial change in circumstances since the initial decree. This could include:

  • Remarriage or cohabitation by one of the parties
  • Violation of the original decree by one of the parties
  • Job loss or significant income changes affecting child support or spousal support obligations.
  • Relocation impacting child custody arrangements or parenting time
  • Child development concerns changes in the child’s needs or living situation

No matter the cause, our knowledgeable lawyers can assist you in resolving divorce decree modification issues.

How Can We Help With A Divorce Decree Modification?

Modifying a divorce decree requires specific legal steps. We can help you:

  • Document the changes in circumstances
  • Submit the necessary paperwork to the court outlining the requested changes
  • Notify your ex-spouse of the petition
  • Present your case in court in the best possible light

In many cases, we can negotiate a modification and seek confirmation through the court, but we’re also capable of taking issues to litigation when necessary.

Let Us Advocate For You

When you need to modify a divorce decree, Fersch LLC can help. Call our New York office at 212-422-2660 or contact us online to schedule a legal consultation.