Poised. Caring. Experienced. Effective.

Helping NYC Parents Navigate Child Relocation Matters

Parents who are separated or divorced may have numerous reasons for wanting to move with their children. Moving can be a timely and stressful process. However, when parents are no longer together, they must often deal with additional complications.

At Fersch LLC, our attorneys can help you effectively manage child relocation requests, oppositions and disputes. No matter which spouse is moving, we can advocate for your children’s best interests, so you can ensure they get what they need to live a happy and fulfilling life.

How Do You Apply For Child Relocation?

Parents typically apply for relocation with a court when they want to move to a different city, state, or country with their children. The parent who wishes to move must demonstrate that they have a legitimate reason. Some of those can include:

  • Relocating for a current job
  • Relocating for a new job
  • Going back to school
  • Living closer to family
  • Giving kids a better quality of life
  • Moving to a state or city with a lower cost of living

A judge can approve or deny relocation requests based on many factors. Still, they often decide what’s in the child’s best interests. Additionally, suppose the nonmoving spouse is opposed to the relocation. In that case, they can file an objection with the court within one month of the relocation request notice.

Is It Difficult To Seek Approval For Child Relocation In New York?

Getting a New York family court’s permission to relocate can be challenging – but it’s not impossible. Even if parents wish to move from New York City to Upstate New York, courts often view this as relocation.

It’s crucial to contact an attorney before moving with children; this includes signing a lease, accepting a job, or making other types of moving arrangements. Parents who relocate with their kids without a court’s permission could risk losing custody and face other long-term consequences.

Work With Lawyers Who Have The Right Experience

At Fersch LLC, we have has successfully litigated in favor and in opposition to relocations in both the Supreme and Family Courts in New York City. Call 212-422-2660 or email us to speak with an attorney from our team today. We can quickly learn your situation and guide you through your options based on your circumstances.